Students with Disabilities

My personal insight for Students with Disabilities


      This reading "Blogs, Wikis and Text Messaging: What are the Implications for Students with Learning Disabilities" is extremely relevant to me now because of what I have personally gone through. Without the innovations in computer technology there is no way I would have been able to not only graduate college but thrive in that environment. For those who do not know me well, I had a stroke when I was 17 caused by something similar to an aneurysm in my brain which resulted in a brain hemorrhage. I was in a coma for months and when I finally woke up I had no recollection of anything and I had no concept of who I was. Suffice to say I had a severe learning disability and following my 8 months in the hospital I literally was at a kindergarten level for reading and math initially. Thankfully all of my memories came back and my abilities to read, write, do complex equations were back to a normal level. Due to the stroke that affected my right side (I am naturally right-handed) I had to learn to become left handed out of necessity. What I had to find was a technology to essentially write for me, which I found by using Dragon naturally speaking. That program “writes” through dictation, which allowed me to complete all of my papers or any assignment with just my voice. I am writing my blog in part to encourage anyone that had to overcome any obstacles in their life. The Masters program in Adult Education at URI has challenged me to become a better student and has given me the skills I will utilize in my future career in the academic field. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to the Masters of Adult Education Blog

Patriots’ Lawrence Guy tackled learning disabilities to thrive in NFL article in Providence Journal